Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pizza Crust Recipe and Review (sort of)

Have you ever heard of America's Test Kitchen?  When we had a working TV a long time ago, I used to watch this half hour show on Saturday afternoons on PBS.  It was one of my favorite cooking shows ever.  They also have a magazine that they put out called Cooks Illustrated.  I have never subscribed, but I bet I’d love it.  I’m too cheap.  Speaking of too cheap, the one thing I HATE about this company is that you have to pay to get any of their recipes.  A subscription for one year to their website –with unlimited access to all of their recipes- is $15.  I have never purchased a subscription, but I think I may eventually.  If there’s any place that I trust ALL the recipes that come from, it’s this place.

I  have two big cookbooks from them.  One was a gift from my step mother that includes hundreds of baking recipes. 

image

The other was a gift to myself that includes 10 years worth of recipes from their TV program.  I figured, if I’m going to buy a cookbook of theirs (they’re pretty expensive), it might as well be one that includes everything I’ve ever seen them cook! image

The fun thing about these cookbooks and their show is that they have taken hours and hours to try out these recipes to find out what works the best.  They switch things up (like oven temperature, ingredients, and cooking time) to see what makes the recipe work the best.  They include all the science behind the recipes in their cookbooks, which I love to read.  I like that they not only tell you, “salted butter works best for this…” but they tell you why salted butter works better. 

The reason I am sharing about America’s Test Kitchen is not because I’m getting paid or compensated in any way. They’ve never heard of me and have never sent me anything for free. Wouldn’t that be great if they did!?  I just happen to love their recipes, and this pizza crust recipe comes from their cookbook. I highly recommend their cookbooks if you ever come across them on sale.  They are pretty expensive, but they have so much more in them than just recipes.  And anything I’ve ever tried from them has tasted wonderful.

Okay, on with the recipe!   This pizza dough recipe is my adaptation of their pizza dough.  There really isn’t anything adapted except that I decided to add Italian Seasoning mix.  It takes a bit of time to let it rise and some muscle to spread out the dough, but in my opinion, it’s well worth it. 

Our family has Pizza Night every Friday night.  When I started menu planning two years ago, I decided that I needed something to make my workload easier.  I instated a weekly Pizza Night, and when no on complained about it, it stuck.  Here is my favorite dough recipe.  I hope you try it!

image

Pizza Dough (enough for 3 dough balls)

1/2 c warm water

2 1/4 tsp yeast (one packet)

1 1/4 c water, room temp

2 Tbs olive oil

4 c bread flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbs Italian seasoning mix (optional)

Add yeast to 1/2 c warm water in at least a 2 cup measuring bowl/cup. let sit for 5-10 min to allow yeast to 'bloom'. Mix dry ingredients in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Add remaining water and oil to yeast/water mix. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Allow dough to knead in mixer for 2-5 minutes. Take out dough, spray the bowl with "pam", and return dough to bowl. Cover with a towel and let sit for 2-2.5 hours. After it has at least doubled in size, take it out and split into two or three dough balls. Store them in the freezer until ready to use.  No need to pre-bake - just spread, top with your favorite toppings, and bake for about 25 minutes @ 425-250.

 
*My notes*

  • I have used all purpose flour before, many times actually, and I find the taste isn't much different, but the texture is. It's a much stickier dough, and I think, if I remember correctly, it's a crisper crust. I do know that I always use bread flour now, since I like the texture better. 
  • If your yeast is stored in the fridge, use really warm water. If it's stored in the pantry/room temp, just follow directions as normal.
  • I put some olive oil on the pizza stone before spreading out the dough.  It makes it easier to spread.
  • ATK recommends pushing the dough out with your fingertips, not rolling or stretching it.  So that’s what I do.
  • 1 comment:

    1. My husband doesn't eat pizza, so when the kids and I feel the urge it is either the freezer department of Kroger or Little Caesars. lol This does look good, though.

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...