Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Plate Wonder….

….and other ways I’m trying to loose weight.

I need to loose weight.  What woman doesn’t?  Even skinny girls feel like they need to loose weight (or so I’ve heard).  I’m no skinny girl, so let’s just say I need to loose a lot of weight.  Probably a good 50lbs to get to a good healthy weight.  I’m a horrible dieter and exerciser (especially in the winter), but I think I’ve found something that might work for me.

Enter my sister and brother-in-law:

DSC00802

My sister is 4 years older than me, a mom of two pre-teen boys, and a pioneer woman who spins her own yarn, weaves on a loom, knits, quilts, cooks, and creates –anything. 

DSC06686

My brother-in-law is a computer nerd, pioneer man who chops firewood to burn in their wood burning stove, and talks a lot.  A. Lot. 

Both of them went on the Atkins diet last year and lost 50-60lbs each.   The Atkins diet in its most general sense is to eat no carbs all day until your 1 hour reward meal where you can essentially binge on whatever you want after eating a sensible protein and vegetable.  The theory is that your insulin will be under control and you won’t crave carbs for that reward meal after a while.  It is amazing how much weight they lost, how good they feel and how great they look.  My sister has inspired me, My brother-in-law inspired Rick, and we’re ready to get on the healthy weight loss bandwagon!

IMG_0058

DSC05852

Last September, we started the diet and the weight melted off of Rick immediately.  He lost a pant size in a little over a month.  It was awesome.  For him.  I on the other hand, lost 10lbs and put it back on over Christmas.  I couldn’t get the reward meal controlled and ate so much crap during my hour that the weight never really left completely.

IMG_0062

DSC06127

But now, I have a plan!  I like to eat my reward meal for lunch.  That leaves my dinner either non-existent because I’m not hungry later, or light because I can’t have any carbs.  For my lunch, I crave apples and peanut butter.  I could eat apples and peanut butter for every meal and probably be content.  After I would finish my (LARGE) apple and peanut butter, I used to raid the cabinets and pantry for any and all chocolate, carbs, or treats I could find.  Now, I have a plan – wait, I already said that.  Let’s get to the plan, shall we?

P2020001

I put everything that I’m planning to eat for my lunch reward meal on one plate.  That’s it.  That’s my plan. 

I pile everything I can on that plate.  After lunch, I’m not allowed to go raid the cupboards for anything else.  If I want to eat it today, I must plan for it at the beginning of my meal. 

It’s really worked for me.  I can now control my reward meal so that it is no longer packed with so many calories.  I’ve lost about 6 pounds in one month, so it seems to be working much better than last time.  I’m very excited to stay on this path of weight loss and be a inspiration to someone else – like my sister is for me.

DSC04684

One day I’ll have an ‘after’ photo to show you.

2 comments:

  1. The last photo is lovely!

    I really hope that the diet continues to go well for you. I am trying to cut out all crisps and most chocolate from my diet, but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...