Friday, February 11, 2011

Sewing Machine Cover

I made something again!

You’re going to think I should change this blog to something crafty, but really, these are all Growth Chart Moments in my life.  I’ve never been friends with a sewing machine.  I’ve always wanted to be crafty but have never found anything that I was good at.  I’m not saying I’m all that good at sewing, but at least I’m really enjoying what I’m making.  I can’t describe the sense of pride I feel when I’ve completed something that resembles what it’s supposed to be and is functional.  It brings a big goofy grin to my face!

Anyway, on with the latest project.

The other day I was at JoAnn’s with my friend.    A few seconds after I fell in love with the cutest little boy fabric ever, I fell in love with the cutest antique sewing machine fabric ever.  I’ve had “make a sewing machine cover” on  my to-do list since I bought the thing last summer, but I had yet to actually make anything.

Until now when I was inspired by the cutest sewing machine fabric ever!

P2070003

I think my friend sent me a link to this tutorial when I first bought the machine, so I knew this was what I would do with the fabric whenever I found it. 

P2070005

This isn’t a tutorial, just a chance for you to see the way I work. I have decided that to cut my fabric correctly, I need to iron where it needs cut, then take the scissors to the fold line and cut away.

P2070006

That’s not very professional, is it?  I have a roller cutter thing, and I have a very short cutting mat, but I seem to like this method better. Is that strange?  I really have no idea how most people cut fabric. 

P2070007

After I figured out which way to sew the sides on to the main portion of the fabric, I realized I should have pinned the entire thing together instead of just a few parts at a time.  It may have made my seams a little neater.  Maybe not.

P2070009 

You know how I mentioned in my last post that I find it’s better to over-buy fabric than to under-buy?  Well, I evidently didn’t heed that advice this time, since I didn’t have enough fabric at the bottom to hem.  It’s all raw edges at the bottom.  I’m used to these imperfections of my work.  It gives them character. And I’m easy to please.  I now have a cute cover for my sewing machine!

4 comments:

  1. Great Job Amanda!!! I've had my sewing machine for 8 years and still haven't taken the time to make a cover. I'm glad you're enjoying your sewing machine. I find sewing projects to be very rewarding. (I used my snow days and sick days last week and this week for sewing projects.) Fun stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Now you can just get a 2 inch lace and stitch it on the bottom or make your own boarder to add to the bottom and noone will know it was too short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of your sewing skills. If you have any extra (it sounds like you do) boy fabric and want to make anything else - I'd love a pillowcase too :).
    I'm also impressed that Jack knows the birds in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! Looks awesome. I need to make myself a cover too. I have tons of projects on my list to do.. Ugh! Glad you are enjoying sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...