Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jack’s Pillowcase

I made a pillowcase.  Is that not the most impressive thing ever?  No?

P2050096

Well, you don’t know me very well then.  That’s okay.  Most people probably think making a pillowcase is the easiest thing in the world to do.  They’d be right, you know.

The short story is that I was at JoAnn’s with a friend the other day and saw this adorable fabric.  Jack loved it immediately and wouldn’t let me put it down.  So I bought some thinking I could certainly make a pillowcase with it.

The long story is that I have no idea how much fabric is needed to make a pillowcase.  So, I called another friend and asked her how much yardage I would need to make a pillowcase.  She was a genius and said to go find a pattern, read it and buy that much.  So I bought WAY too much fabric (because in my opinion it’s important to overbuy than under-buy fabric when you’re as clueless as I am at sewing) and found some matching colors for a border.

P2050097

When I got home, and a few days later when I had the time, I sat down at the computer to find a pattern or video that would help me sew a pillowcase.  I knew it couldn’t be that hard, but I really had no idea how to start.

I found this video and this video on Youtube (which really say the exact same thing, but it helps to have two different perspectives when doing a project, right?) and was able to knock out an adorable pillowcase in just a half an hour.

P2050099

As with any of my projects, you don’t want to get too close.  You will see just how bad it really is.  From afar, it looks adorable and pretty impressive.  Up close, you can see that it is uneven and has edges showing when it’s not supposed to (I did something called a French seam which is supposed to hide all the edges) Jack really doesn’t care about the uneven border or the frayed edges showing.  He’s excited to name all the trucks, diggers and cranes on his very own pillowcase.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Seems very impressive to me. Hope Jack continues to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Looks great! I couldn't agree more-- it's better to buy more than not have enough. ;) can always use to for another project.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...