Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh Pasta, How I Love Thee!

 

wfmwbannerKRISTEN

Today is a backwards WFMW.  Instead of sharing our tips, we get to ask for help from other bloggers.  My questions are about making pasta.  Here is the background….

Last week, I decided to make some pasta.  I had made up my mind a while ago to start making my own pasta, but I hadn’t gotten around to making enough to store it in the pantry. 

After remembering the recipe for pasta incorrectly, I ended up making a TON of pasta.  (I thought it was 2 cups of flour to 1 egg, and it’s actually 2 eggs to 1 cup of flour)

Here is what my kitchen looked like….

DSC03199DSC03201

I really need a pasta drying rack!!

DSC03204

These little bits at the end made for a yummy pasta lunch (pasta with Prego.  You can’t get easier than that!)

After I was done making and hanging the pasta, Boozle and I went to the library for story time.  When we came back after a few errands, this is what I found…

DSC03206

The pasta had dried and started to break off onto the counters (and floor!).  It was quite a mess! If you just breathed, they broke into pieces.

 DSC03208 

In the end, I ended up with three big containers full of pasta.  The pasta is all different lengths, because they all broke at different points.  And, to get them to fit into the containers, I had to break them down even further.  It’s not very pretty! 

 DSC03209

Believe it or not, this will only last a few dinners.  We really love our pasta!

If anyone out there is a pasta expert, can you tell me how to keep it from being so brittle?  And how can I make it straighter? I’m not sure I have enough countertop space to lay it all out flat.  Do you have a better pasta recipe? 

Thanks for stopping by!  If you’d like to see if you can help out other bloggers with their questions, head on over to We Are THAT Family and see who has linked up today!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what specific type of recipe you are looking for, but this is the one I use and have for about 20 years (man I sound old).

    1 cup flour, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp water.
    When you are mixing it the consistency should be like cheap play doh (you know and little bit thicker and harder than the name brand stuff). I always make a double batch for anything, but that is the base increment to use.

    If that recipe doesn't eliminate the breaking factor, maybe you are pressing them too thin? Without holding the dried pasta, I don't know for sure. Sorry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a recipe similar to what Kim said. It is from allrecipes.com Basic Pasta: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Basic-Pasta/Detail.aspx
    It comes out really great. Sometimes I add garlic salt, italian seasonings, or fresh basil too.
    Do you have a pasta machine? I love mine! I make fettucini with it.
    You know I have gestational diabetes. I can eat homemade pasta without it raising my sugar, unlike regular pasta (I don't know why - but I can't complain, I love homemade pasta!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! What a great job. Love the pictures. Hope you get the brittle part figured out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. must be my pasta maker.
    HA. mine did that too.
    my guess was too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We LOVE pasta as well here! The pictures of the pasta hanging on hangers reminded me of when my mom made Peking chicken. The chicken had to hang and marinate for a couple days. She hung it in the window and basted regularly. We could see the window from our elementary school. My brother and I got asked questions. A lot of questions!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...