Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Travel Cloth Diaper Bag

Last weekend we went to visit my in-laws for Easter.  They hadn’t seen Jack for a few months, and we wanted to visit my father-in-law’s church one last time before he retires.  We were staying for two nights and three days.  That’s not a very long vacation, but to a mama who uses cloth diapers, it is long enough to induce a mild panic attack.  I don’t have a travel size wet bag to keep my diapers in.  All I have is a big plastic diaper pail and a small tote that holds 3 or 4 diapers.  Three days is usually how many days we go before needing to wash the diapers, so I knew we’d be using more than just  a few diapers this weekend. 

Up to the last minute, I had planned to bring our big diaper pail, and just cart it home with us in the back of the van.  It would be inconvenient, but I couldn’t think of anything else.  Then, when we were almost walking out the door, I saw this insulated grocery bag hanging on the door handle.  I thought it just might be the perfect travel diaper bag!

 DSC03086 DSC03087

It’s insulated, so it shouldn’t leak if a diaper is too wet, and it has a zipper, so it should lock in the stink for the most part. 

I have to report that it worked GREAT!  I used one for the clean diapers and one for the used diapers.  The zipper did an excellent job of keeping the stink in, and there was no leaking at any time!  I did have to dunk some diapers in the toilet, which I usually don’t have to do, because we have a diaper sprayer, but overall, this was a pleasant travel experience with our diapers!  I don’t know if the bag is washable, so I just took a Clorox Wipe to the inside when we got home.  I’m not going to ever use this particular bag for groceries, but I may use it again for this purpose.

(My husband was happy I didn’t have to go buy a new bag!)

I’m linking this post up to What Works For Me Wednesday over at We Are THAT Family.  If you’re looking for other fun tips, check out her blog today and search through the tons of tips linked up by other bloggers!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the Kroger peanut butter recommendation. I'll have to try it!

    And what a lovely family you have! :)

    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking of leaving a comment on your page when I received yours. The crayons I used were Crayola window crayons. They are $3 for 5 of them at Wal-Mart. A little pricey compared to 88 cents crayons but I thought it would be nice for her to have a variety of art utensils. I've only let her draw on aluminum and a glass spaghetti jar, not actually ready for the windows yet. She really likes them though. So....the reason I was going to leave a comment was to ask you a little bit about cloth diapering. Do you buy yours or do you make yours? If you make yours, do you think its easy enough for a beginning sewer? I am learning to sew and have been making some stuff for my upcoming baby...so far a Boppy pillow and a nursing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! We have traveled with our diapers several times and just used plastic trash bags and our diaper pail. This sounds much better!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...