Saturday, June 12, 2010

My First Project

I’ve been absent from the blogosphere.  Sorry ‘bout that.  No excuses.  I’m just stating the obvious.

While I was gone, I attempted my first ‘real’ sewing project.  I say “real” because, in my opinion, cloth napkins should be considered practice and not a real project.

I found this project over at A Girl and a Glue Gun.  I’m not sure how I found it, but it looked like it was easy enough for a beginner to try, and I’ve been looking for an easy apron pattern.  Thanks to my friend Beth, I now have an actual pattern for 6 different styles of aprons.  I’ve not attempted those yet.  Baby steps to sewing projects!

Here is my first real project…..

I had some old jeans that I can’t wear anymore.  We won’t discuss WHY I can’t wear them!!  And I picked out some cute fabric from the store.

DSC03851DSC03853

Cut off a pant leg, NOT like this, and then cut it up the middle so you can open it up.

DSC03854DSC03856

Cut a crescent-like shape out of the pants (not sure which end works best here). 

DSC03858 

Now you have something that looks like it could become an apron very easily!

DSC03859

Next, pin the strips of fabric along all the edges, using SAFETY PINS, since you may not own any straight pins. 

 DSC03860   

Spend 2-3 hours sewing, removing stitches, sewing, untangling the bobbin, sewing, removing stitches, and sewing until you the strips of fabric don’t fall off the denim. I watched some Hulu TV while I sewed into the night.

This is what my final product looks like from afar. 

DSC03866

Not bad….

Let’s take a closer look, shall we?

This is what I’m most proud of.  The square 'reinforcements’.  My sewing savvy friend Beth told me about this, and I think it looks great.

DSC03870

At first glance, that pocket looks good.  But at closer inspection, you see that I sewed so far inside the pocket, that the edges all stick up.  I didn’t know if my machine would sew through the edge of the pocket or not.  I didn’t want to mess with the ‘oops, I broke the needle’ scenario at midnight last night.

DSC03867

Now for my edges and corners.  HUH???  How do you finish these things???  This is the part I have to learn about yet.  I’m not sure how to make my edges and corners look finished. 

DSC03872

This was my first one.  Oh, it’s so bad!

DSC03871

I would say, overall this project was fun, and I like the end result.  I have a lot of learning to do, but at least now I know what questions to ask.  I’ll be having sewing parties* at my place this summer – bring your machine and let’s make something!!

DSC03875    

*ok, so I’m not REALLY scheduling any sewing parties, but if you’re close by and like to help struggling beginners learn how to sew, come on over! I’ll provide the entertainment (my 1 year old) and you provide the knowledge.

8 comments:

  1. Whoa mama! Your apron is adorable and you look SO great in it! I love that it is denim and made from a pair of jeans that couldn't be worn any longer (don't feel bad...we all have them and for some stupid reason, can't bear to part with them).

    Keep up the good work! And thanks for sharing this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable project!! Even though you pointed out small little mishaps, you should still be proud of your work!

    Sewing parties sound fun! Now to think of something to sew at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job!!!!

    I always say if it falls apart it's because it's been well loved not because it was sewn incorrectly!!

    I'm glad you like the 'reinforcements'. It add the professional touch!

    And I'm so infor a sewing party! I'll bring my machine and one of the 4 sewing boxes I have and maybe just 1 of the tubs of fabric I have and we'll just start sewing (and see what we end up with)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!! looks so great! what a compliment to me! thanks for letting me know! i love seeing what others have done...and i love the reinforcements so you taught me something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the apron looks. I never wear aprons, but this is so cute, I kinda want to make one! I haven't tried sewing denim, but it seems tricky, its so thick! I hope you post more projects...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I think I may need to make one of these, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...